What is Extended Hand to Big Toe Pose (Utthita Hasta Padangustasana)?
Extended Hand to Big Toe Pose is a more challenging yoga pose that strengthens and stretches the legs and hips.
As we work on one leg while holding the other leg by the toe on the leg stretched in front of us or to the side, it increases our feeling of balance and concentration.
Yoga pose Extended Hand to Big Toe Pose (Utthita Hasta Padangustasana) step by step instruction
1. Stand in the starting yoga pose, Tadasana, with our feet joined.
2. Raise the right leg, bent at the knee, as close to the torso as possible with the exhale and grab the big toe on the right foot, wrapping it on one side with the index and middle toes and the thumb of the right hand, and on the other side with the index and middle toes and the thumb of the right hand.
Place the right hand on the inside of the bent right foot and grab the foot from the outside above the right ankle, fingers on the arch and thumb on the upper side of the foot.
3. Place the left foot on the ground and the left palm on the left hip while fixing the front half of the left thigh muscle.
In this pose, we breathe two cycles of air.
To better concentrate while maintaining equilibrium, let’s concentrate on a point in front of us.
4. Extend the right leg forward first on the exhale.To go to Utthita hasta padangusthasana, straighten and stretch the right leg’s knee as much as possible, and pull it up as much as possible.I, like the girl in black, breathe in it for two cycles, and longer if we are unable to move to another posture, such as to the side.
Use a belt if your knee and groin tendons are too tight and stiff to fully expand when your leg is lifted.
Keep your hand wrapped around the arch of the right or left sole and lift the leg tight.
5. Move on to another variation once you’ve calmed down and stabilized in Utthita hasta padangusthasani I.
Move the right leg to the right side while keeping it stretched.
The objective is to raise it as high as possible while keeping the body straight; do not tilt it to the side.
6. Stay in the position for 30-60 seconds, breathing normally. Then, with the inhale, first return the right leg to the center, in front of the torso, and with the exhale, lower it to the ground, to the initial position of the “mountain.” Let’s repeat this pose with the left foot for the same amount of time.
People with stiff groin and knee tendons who have problems keeping their balance should start by resting their upper sole against the wall.
A chair with a backrest, placed against a wall with a lightly folded blanket on the backrest, can also be used as a support.
Place the outstretched leg on the back of the chair and firmly press the heel against the wall.
Therapeutic benefit of Extended Hand to Big Toe Pose
Benefits of Extended Hand to Big Toe Pose
- strengthens legs, ankles, hips
- stretches the groin, back of the legs, hips
- improves sense of balance and concentration
Contraindications, warnings and precautions:
- injuries to ankles,
- hips lower back injuries